As you may have noticed, Capitalware has been using capitalware.biz domain name for a long, long time. That’s because back in the 90′s, I made a naive mistake related to buying domain names for Capitalware. I purchased capitalware.org first thinking nobody would want capitalware.com. D’oh. A cyber-squatter would!! After all these years, I have finally gotten rid of the cyber-squatter and I am now in possession of capitalware.com.
I would continue to use capitalware.biz domain except that too many companies treat “any and all” emails from a “.biz” domain as spam, so it makes it really hard to communicate with employees of certain businesses.
Switching your primary domain name with a hosting company is a non-trivial event. Basically, there are 2 issues because of the way DNS propagation works and the way CPanel (Control Panel) works.
(1) HostGator (my hosting company) says that the DNS propagation will take anywhere from 8 to 48 hours to complete. I don’t understand it since I already have capitalware.com working. The name servers are setup and in the CPanel, I have capitalware.com redirecting to capitalware.biz
(2) To do the domain switch, I have to remove all subdomains (a CPanel requirement). I only have 1 subdomain: mqtechconference.com. So, to do the domain switch I must delete the subdomain. Ouch!
So, capitalware.biz, capitalware.com and mqtechconference.com will apparently go dark for 8 to 48 hours. To minimize the outage, I am planning on doing the domain switch at 1:00AM on Saturday, February 15th, 2014.
Once everything is back online, I will create a redirect for capitalware.biz to capitalware.com, so that people will still be able to find Capitalware using the old links.
Right now, I am writing out a long list of things that need to be changed, but I know the domain switch will have some hiccups. So, if you cannot reach capitalware.biz/capitalware.com or emails bounce-back, please bear with me as I go through this one-time only nightmare.
Also, if you are pulling my blog’s RSS feed to a news reader then you may need to update the URL after the switch.